Recipe: Rose Petal Sandwiches from Mrs. M. Grieves, “ a Modern Herbal”:
Nature is a holistic entity with many systems living in harmony. I have been taught that there is a remedy for what ails us in the world around us if we but look and pay attention. The rose is heralded from all the ages as a symbol of love. This month They begin to bloom and surround us with beauty and fragrance. Could it be that on a mind, body, spirit level including rose petals in our food brings us the essence of love?
The rose is but one example of adding flower petals to our recipes. Many roses have traditionally been put in jams, candied or added as a garnish.
CAUTION: DO NOT USE ROSE PETALS FOR CONSUMPTION IF YOU SPRAY WITH CHEMICAL INSECTICIDES.
Here’s one recipe I hope you will enjoy.
- Put a layer of rose petals in the bottom of a dish.
- Place 4oz stick of butter wrapped in waxed paper on top of petals
- Cover with a thick layer of rose petals
- Cover and leave in a cool place overnight
- The next day, cut bread into thin strips or circles.
- Spread each slice with the perfumed butter
Another site I found offers this delicious recipe: